0x80070005 revisited

Reading time ~1 minute

A while ago I blogged about a recurring problem in my laptop: event log was filling with Software protection service scheduling errors, and the fix was to change one system folder’s permissions. I ended up re-installing my laptop from scratch (to Windows 8.1), and again after I joined the machine to our company domain and installed Symantec Endpoint Protection the problem re-appeared. I still do not know which - domain or SEP or both together - is the root cause, but as the problem emerged over and over again, I gave up and automatized the change. I created one batch file:

ECHO OFF
ECHO Fixing Software protection service scheduling ACL problem.
icacls %systemroot%\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\SoftwareProtectionPlatform /grant "NETWORK SERVICE":(OI)(CI)F

…and scheduled this file with admin permissions to run semi-frequently (one could also add an event log trigger to this one event). Problem solved (for now).

Using Protocol buffers v3 with ASP.NET core

This blog post gives a working Input and Output formatters for ASP.NET MVC to work with Google Protocol Buffers. Continue reading

Don't let techies design game user experience

Published on February 02, 2016

Using VS Team Services with go get

Published on January 19, 2016